Welcome to Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
The mission of the Napa County EMS Agency is to incorporate multiple agencies and facilities into a dynamic emergency medical care delivery system that is focused on rapid access, quality assessment, stabilization and transportation when emergency services are necessary.
The Napa County EMS Agency is part of the Napa County Public Health Division. The Agency is staffed with dedicated professionals and are committed to bringing the people of Napa County the high level of care they deserve.
Ambulance Franchise Information
Supervisors accept and approve EMS ambulance franchise contract with AMR on October 18, 2011. Learn more about the Ambulance Franchise and RFP process.
What We Do
We plan, implement and evaluate the local EMS system and the various components contained within it. Specific functions are specified in the California State Health and Safety Code. Our duties include:
- Authorizing, planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating emergency medical services including a trauma system and advanced life support (ALS) programs.
- Approving and monitoring training programs for Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT), Paramedics, Mobile Intensive Care Nurses (MICN) and Emergency Medical Dispatchers (EMD).
- In conjunction with these training programs, EMS also handles the certification, accreditation, authorization and licensing programs for the above personnel.
- Establishing policies and procedures for medical control and quality improvement of the EMS system, including dispatch, patient care, patient destination and ALS designations.
- Establishing ordinances and/or exclusive operating areas for the regulation of ambulance services; licensing the ambulance providers; coordinating and monitoring both air and ground ambulances.
We have also developed a Multi-Casualty Incident Plan for large scale incidents and disasters. This plan coordinates responding agencies (law, fire, paramedics and ambulances), hospitals, Public Works departments, the State Office of Emergency Services and other emergency response organizations. We conduct periodic drills to evaluate, revise and improve the EMS System.