Williamson Act (Agricultual Perserve) Contracts


Engineering DivisionPlanning, Building & Environmental Services

Application & Permits - Blurred


About Us





Environmental Health


Citizen Portal Your place to find Permits and Application Status

!!! Important Earthquake Information !!!

Resources for Earthquake Recovery  


Beware of Contractor Scams and Unlicensed Contractors

Q & A- Contractor Scams - English

Q & A- Contractor Scams - Spanish


Building Permits Resources Post Earthquake

Red Tag and Yellow Tag Buildings in Napa County


Earthquake Related Building Inspections:

  • If you are looking for an emergency inspection due to the earthquake, and their property is in the county, call (707) 299-1998 to request an inspection. Leave the requested info, and an inspection will be scheduled. This is for quake damage ONLY.
  • If you need an inspection within the City limits regarding earthquake damage, contact the City of Napa Building Department at (707) 257-9540 or call the City Building Inspection line at (707) 258-7829.

Regular Building Inspections (not quake related):

  • We are currently scheduling for next week. Please call (707) 253-4416 to schedule an inspection.

Same Day Permits:                                                                                                                                                 


Safety Hazards Management after an Earthquake  

Food Facilities Safety  


Drinking Water and Safety Options

Boiling Water

Appendix to Bolling Water

Chlorination of Water Wells



Williamson Act & Agricultural Preserve Contracts

Some properties may qualify for reduced property taxes through Williamson Act Contracting 

The California Land Conservation Act of 1965 is commonly referred to as the Williamson Act. The Act enables Napa County to enter into contracts with private landowners for the purpose of restricting specific parcels to agricultural use. The primary intent of the program is to preserve agricultural land by discouraging premature and unnecessary conversion to urban uses. Additional information regarding the Williamson Act can be obtained from the California Department of Conservation, Division of Land Resource Protection.

In return for voluntarily restricting (contracting) their land, landowners receive property tax assessments which are the lower of their factored Proposition 13 base year value or the restricted value based upon farming and open space uses (as opposed to full market value).  For information regarding potential tax benefits of contracting a parcel under the Williamson Act please contact the County Assessor.

To qualify for a Williamson Act Contract a parcel must be zoned Agriculture Preserve (AP) or Agricultural Watershed (AW), be 40 acres in size for non-prime agricultural land or 10 acres in size for prime agricultural land, and contain a bona fide agricultural use (see Williamson Act Rules: Type A, Type C & Type H).  Additionally, the County offers a contract for parcels between 5 and 10 acres provided the agricultural use demonstrates a unique commitment to sustainable farming practices and contributes to the diversity of crops raised in Napa County (i.e. agriculture use other than wine grapes) in addition to other specific conditions. Agricultural contracts are a 10 year rolling term – and renew each year for another term unless they are non-renewed by either the landowner or the County.

Applications to enroll a parcel into the program are accepted annually in the month of September.  For information regarding existing Agricultural Contracts and/or processing Lot Line Adjustments that include parcels containing Agricultural Contracts, please contact us.